The white grape variety comes from Austria. Synonyms grouped by country are Brubler, Burgrebe, Grüner Burgunder, Neuburger Alb, Weißer Neuburger ( Germany. Austria ); Neuburger Bianco ( Italy ); Neuburger Bijeli ( Croatia ); Neuburské ( Slovakia. Czech Republic ); Fehér Neuburger, Fehér Neuburgi ( Hungary ). According to a story, in 1870 on the banks of the Danube at the municipality of Oberarnsdorf in the Lower Austrian wine region Wachau some parts of the vine washed up. The winegrower Kristoff Ferstl (1808-1888), ancestor of the owner family from the winery Mantlerhof, and Franz Marchendl planted the vine in Arnsdorf and made wine from it for the first time in 1872. Then she followed Spitz on the Danube, where it was exposed at the ruins of the rear building (popularly known as "castle"). This gave the name Neuburger.
In any case, a small chapel and a man-sized statue of the saint were remembered in 1935 urbane built. This facility was blown up by drunken SA men a few years later. Finally, a new monument was erected in 1983. There are other, less credible versions. In the Thirty Years' War (1618-1648) in the nearby municipality of Weissenkirchen, a commander of a Swedish army was allegedly given a Neuburger wine as a thank you because he had spared the town from pillaging and arson. And in 1786 a vine from Neuburger is mentioned in a document from the Bavarian community of Neuburg.
According to in 1997 DNA analysis is probably a natural cross between Red Veltliner x Sylvaner (and also Frühroter Veltliner ). Thus, the earlier suspected descent from a Burgundy variety turned out to be wrong. She was a crossing partner in the new varieties Aurelius and Klosterneuburg 44-8, The early to medium maturing vine is prone to the wrong mildew and Botrytis, also tends to Verrieseln, but is resistant to drought. It produces spicy, full-bodied white wines with a walnut aroma. The variety is in Austria cultivated in all wine-growing areas. The trend is falling sharply, because in 2009, the crop was halved with 652 hectares in ten years. There were further holdings in 2010 under Neuburské in Romania (46 ha), Slovakia (9 ha) and Czech Republic (303 ha).
Images: Ursula Brühl, Doris Schneider, Julius Kühn Institute (JKI)