The famous French viticulture scientist Louis Oudart is regarded as the birth father of the world famous Italian DOCG red wines Barbaresco and Barolo, It was built around 1850 by Giulietta Falletti, the Marquesa of Barolo (* 1785) in the municipality of Barolo in the Italian region Piedmont Called to assist them there on their winery in an advisory capacity. Oudart was of the cultivated variety here Nebbiolo very impressed and recognized their great potential. He experimented with a then not practiced dry Expansion. The locals managed this hardly, the wine was mostly relative sweet and unstable and had only a short life. Due to the late maturity of Nebbiolo conditionally took place fermentation in the cold months of November and December and for a complete fermentation under these circumstances were the then yeasts not suitable. Another key reason was the lack of cleanliness in winemaking.
For the cellaring experiments King Victor Emmanuel II (1820-1878) even provided his hunting lodge Fontanafredda in the mountains of Serralunga d'Alba (province of Cuneo) and his son Emanuele Alberto (1851-1894) the vineyards around the hunting lodge. On this support by the then ruling dynasty is most likely the name " Wine of Kings - King of Wines "To lead back to the Barolo. In the basement, Oudart relies on the techniques of the cool Champagne where this problem was known. He moved the fermentation process into newly created, underground wine cellars and ensured constant optimum temperatures and highest cleanliness (how exactly he managed this is not known). Louis Oudart succeeded in cramping a fully dry, long-lived Barolo and began the triumphal march. The new type of wine quickly found favor in Turin and was one of the favorite drinks in the House of Savoy (Ruler of Piedmont).
The oenologist then similarly supported the Count and later Minister-President of Sardinia Camillo Cavour (1810-1861), who had studied modern agriculture in London. This possessed a vineyard in the Monferrato hills and wanted in the region among others new ones Vinification techniques introduce. In 1862, so to speak, Oudart repeated on his winery Castello di Neive in Barbaresco, the success achieved with Barolo. The dry wine from the Nebbiolo grape was awarded a prize in London - but it was not called Barbaresco for a very long time. Under this name, the red wine became known only towards the end of the 19th century.
Some evidence suggests that with certain probability there has never been a Louis Oudart (although all known authors such as Jancis Robinson, Hugh Johnson and others call that name exactly). The net names Louis Oudart, Louise Oudart (sic) and Louis Odart. In the French literature one finds no Oudart, which would have made remarkable in the 19th century in viticulture. Maybe someday somebody might have mispronounced the name - and all have written off each other in the sequence. So who is actually behind this person? Well - some speaks for Alexandre-Pierre Odart (1778-1866). This was a well-known oenologist, had good contacts with the Italian royal family, his life data, his international experience and the name Comte Odart fit, because in Italian literature at Barolo is often the famous Conte Odart the speech.