The winery named after the British Admiral Sir Hugh Palliser (1723-1796) in Martinborough in the area of Wairarapa (North Island) was founded in 1984. The first wine was produced in 1989. In 1995 it became the first winery New Zealand
ISO 9002 certified. The vineyards with 85 hectares of vineyards include the vineyards Clouston, Om Santi, Palliser, Pencarrow and Pinnacles. They are planted with the varieties Chardonnay, Pinot Gris, Pinot Noir, Riesling and Sauvignon Blanc. The top wines are marketed under the "Palliser Estate" label. The flagships of the house are Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay and Pinot Noir. Simpler wines are produced under the "Pencarrow" label. Much of the production is exported.