SIGN UP LOG IN

The largest wine encyclopedia in the world

22.545 Keywords • 49.268 Synonyms • 5.290 Translations • 7.929 Pronunciations • 146.332 Cross-references

0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Papaïoannou

The Greek winery in the appellation Nemea on the island Peloponnese was founded in 1876 by the grandfather of the current owner Athanassios Papaïoannou. Athanassios is considered one of the best winemakers in Greece, in operation also works with his son George. Particular care is taken to grow the vines terroirgerecht. The vineyards cover 55 hectares of vineyards, with the 80% cultivated main variety Agiorgitiko The remaining 20% ​​are planted with Assyrtiko, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Malagousiá, Lagorthi, Pinot Noir, Roditis and Sauvignon Blanc. With another 35 mostly indigenous Greek varieties is experimented. The flagships are the OPAP Nemea reds Palea Klimata Agiorgitiko from vines planted from the early 1970s (Palea Klimata = Old Vines) and Agiorgitiko from selected grapes. Also worth mentioning are the white wines Asyrtiko Playies Ai-Liá Vareli and Fumé (Chardonnay). Every year around 350,000 bottles of wine are produced.

World's largest wine knowledge database, made with by our author Norbert Tischelmayer.

About the Glossary

Calendar EVENTS NEAR YOU

Privacy Notice:

×
Cookies facilitate the provision of our services. By using our services, you agree that we use cookies.