The origins of today's business date back to 1896, when Spaniard Federico Paternina bought three bodegas in Ollauri in the Rioja area. Among them was the already dating from the 16th century Conde de los Andes. In 1920, Paternina acquired a cooperative in Haro, thereby considerably expanding its production. From the 1940s, it was started to export the wines worldwide. In the 1960s, the company was increasingly in trouble and was acquired by the company Rumasa (with the owner Jose Marea Ruiz Mateos). But the problems of Paternina and also of the new owner became even bigger. In the early 1980s, the heavily indebted company Rumasa and thus also Paternina was taken over by the Spanish government. At an auction Paternina was acquired by Marcos Eguizábal Ramirez in 1985 for a single peseta. The beginning was tough, for example, 40,000 boxes of poor quality wine had to be destroyed. In 1990, a new winery in Haro was put into operation. Until the mid-1990s, the old reputation was restored with good products. Meanwhile, Marco's son Carlos Eguizábal worked in the company. Finally, Paternina went public in 1998. Incidentally, the winery also belongs to the company Bodegas Franco Españolas
Already in 1994 the company "Bodegas Internacionales" was founded in Jerez
which owned a number of traditional sherry brands such as Bertola, Díez Hermanos, Marqués de Mérito, Bertola and José Pemartín y Cia. Paternina now started strengthening sherry
and Brandy de Jerez
to produce and became a leading manufacturer.
The new Rioja winery is located in the town of Haro in the center of the Rioja sub-area Rioja Alta
, Its own vineyards cover 100 hectares of vineyards, but there are also large quantities of grapes purchased by cooperatives and winegrowers. For the expansion of the wines are 50,000 oak barrels available. The biggest producers are Crianzas "Banda Azul", "Banda Rojo" and "Banda Dorada" (70 to 80% Tempranillo, 10 to 20% Garnacha Tinta, 5 to 10% Mazuelo, up to 5% Graciano). The top products are the Reserva "Viña Vial", as well as the Gran Reservas "Federico Paternina" (65% Tempranillo, 15% Garnacha Tinta, 10% Graciano, 10% Mazuelo) and "Conde de los Andes" (80% Tempranillo, 10% Garnacha Tinta and 10% Mazuelo).
A new bodega in the municipality of Quintana del Pidio near Pesquera de Duero in the region Castile and Leon
was commissioned in 2000. The vineyards in the DO Ribera del Duero
Cover 41 hectares of vineyards in Quintana del Pidio, Gumiel de Mercado and in Gumiel de Izán. An extension of 100 hectares is planned. The wines are marketed under the label Marqués de Valparaiso
since the 2004 vintage.