The municipal appellation is the northern part of the area Graves ( Bordeaux ) and is named after the two main places. It covers 1,300 hectares of vineyards in the municipalities Cadaujac, Canéjan, Gradignan, Léognan, Martillac, Mérignac, Pessac, Saint-Médard-d'Eyrans, Talence and Villeneuve-d'Ornon. Prior to the classification as a separate appellation in 1987, to which André Lurton tried successfully, the area was called Haut-Graves . Around the city Pessac was in the Middle Ages the clairet produced.
The dry white wines off Sauvignon Blanc and Sémillon are produced with barrel fermentation and oak wood finishing and are among the best in Bordeaux. The red wines are mainly made Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon with shares of Cabernet Franc and Malbec ( Cot ) blended. These are the typical grape varieties of the Rive gauche (left bank). The cuvées in the wineries, however, are very different.
In the years 1953 and 1959 16 Châteaux were classified as "Cru Classé des Graves" (at that time still in the sub-area Haut-Graves within Graves). These are Château Bouscaut. Château Carbonnieux. Château Couhins. Château Couhins-Lurton. Château de Fieuzal. Château Haut-Bailly. Château Haut-Brion (by the way, the only one of the 61 châteaux classified in 1855 not in the area Médoc lies), Château La Mission Haut-Brion. Château La Tour-Haut-Brion. Château La Tour-Martillac. Château Laville-Haut-Brion. Château Malartic-Lagravière. Château Olivier. Château Pape-Clément. Château Smith-Haut-Lafitte and Domaine de Chevalier,