The birth of the family winery beat, so to speak, in 1857, when Julius Wegeler (1836-1913) in the wine and sparkling wine house Deinhardstein
boarding in Koblenz. Wegeler received the special order to represent and expand the export business in England, Belgium and the Netherlands. He was very successful, the sales boomed and the business with the British Empire is constantly increasing. The now married to the Deinhard daughter Emma Julius Wegeler was appointed in 1864 in the management, took over the parent company in Koblenz and was involved in the company. The company has now been renamed Deinhard & Co. After the early death of August Deinhard Wegeler took over the management of the company together with his brother Karl and his future brother-in-law Johann Jacob Hasslacher. In 1876 Wegeler became a member of the board of directors of the German Winegrowing Association, whose first president was also from 1893 to 1905. In 1893 Julius Wegeler was appointed secretary. During his time in power, the two famous sparkling wine brands "Deinhard Cabinet" and "Deinhard Lila" were created, which are still produced today.
In 1882, he bought by buying a winery in Rüdesheim in today's growing area Rheingau in the wine. He coined the motto still valid today: "Quality is our philosophy"
. The then also acquired mansion is the administrative seat. The company Deinhard was run until 1997 by Rolf Wegeler and his cousin Hanns Christof Wegeler. This year, the company's trading house and sparkling-wine production part became the company Henkell
sold, the three wineries with a total of 80 hectares of vineyards, however, remained in the possession of the family. These are since 1998 by the couple Anja Wegeler-Drieseberg and Dr. med. Tom Drieseberg led.
Rolf Wegeler leased in 1973 vineyards from Winery of Winning
in Deidesheim (Palatinate). This was the third winery Gutshof Deidesheim
justified. However, this commitment ended after the 2006 harvest. The remaining two farms Gutshaus Oestrich
and Gutshaus Bernkastel
work with respect to vineyard management and winery including bottling completely independently and independently, but under a common quality philosophy. Both are members in the VDP
(Verband deutscher Prädikatsweingüter). The administration and distribution of the wines takes place via the Gutshaus Oestrich. As was the case with the foundation at the end of the 19th century, only Riesling is used in both farmhouses.
The Gutshaus Oestrich
in the growing area Rheingau
(with the common administrative seat) covers 45 hectares in the individual layers Mount Roseneck
. Mountain Rottland
and Mountain Schlossberg
and Klosterberg (Oestrich), Hasensprung
(Geisenheim), as well Schönhell
(Hall garden). The flagship is "Geheimrat J. Spätlese", which is only vinified in the best years (not in 1984, 1987 and 1991).
The today's manor house Bernkastel
became in the year 1900 by acquisition of a part of the famous situation Bernkasteler Doctor
in today's growing area Moselle
founded. For a vine at that time fabulous 100 gold marks had to be paid. In the Bernkasteler district Kues was in 1903 a farm after the gravity principle
built. The partially terraced vineyards cover 15 hectares in predominantly Mosel-Steillagen. these are Bratenhöfchen
(Graach), as well sundial
(Wehlen). Premium wines are Bernkasteler Doctor and Wehlener sundial.