The estate is located in the municipality of Ervedosa do Douro in the Portuguese region Douro
on the bank of the river of the same name. The traditional company was founded in 1764 by Irishman James Archibald. This brought vines from Burgundy, including the Tinta Francisca
, His son Diogo Archibald accompanied the inspectors of the Marques de Pombal
(1699-1782) at the famous demarcation of the region in 1757. The business has been owned by the van Zeller family since 1815. Today he is in the sixth generation, João van Zeller, a distant relative of the family Symington
, The vineyards cover 42 hectares of vineyards at 125 to 250 meters above sea level on the south bank of the river, with the varieties Touriga Nacional, Tinta Barroca, Touriga Francesa, Tinta Roriz (Tempranillo), Tinta Cão, Sousão, Tinta Amarela (Trincadeira Preta) and Tinta Francisca are planted. For a long time there was a partnership with the Symington company, which was resolved by mutual agreement in 2008. The wines are traditional in the Lagars
(Stone troughs) fermented. The product plate includes port wines
and red wines from DOC Douro.