Today's wine region Weinviertel in Lower Austria was formerly in the independent and named after the respective main wine regions Retz (in the west) and Falkenstein at Poysdorf (in the east) shared. Vineyards in Retz were first mentioned in 1155. Around 1200 the famous minstrel Walther von der Vogelweide (1170-1230) is said to be in the Zehenthofkeller Retzer have enjoyed wines. Count Berthold von Rabenswalde (1278-1312) had a new town built at the foothills of the Manhartsberg in 1300 and moved his seat to this place, this was the birth of Retz. The city later got its own protected wine-growing area and developed into the important wine trade center of the area. Towards the end of the Thirty Years' War, the Swedes invaded Retz in 1645. The following rhyme reports of the commander's drinking resistance : Captain Hensius from Sweden, well-known as the greatest drinker, drank in four and a half moons with twenty buckets of wine, which is two dozen quarters a day.
The underground Retz is crisscrossed by huge basements of up to 30 meters deep and up to three floors. In total there are cellar corridors with a total length of 21 kilometers, which is larger than the streets and alleys of the city. This is due to a privilege of the Hungarian king Matthias Corvinus (1440-1490). Every citizen was allowed to trade in wine and everyone who owned a cellar was allowed to enlarge it as needed. The cellar vaults driven deep into the loess have an ideal temperature between 8 and 10 ° Celsius and a humidity of 90%. The total area under vines with the sub-towns of Unter-, Mitterbach and Oberretzbach is around 1,000 hectares, 70% of which are planted with white wines. Dominates here Green Valtellina, followed by Riesling, Pinot Blanc ( Pinot Blanc ) and Riesling, The main red wine varieties are Blue Portuguese and Zweigelt, Known vineyards are Altenberg, Plaque, sentences and tongues. Retz is also home to one of the examination centers for issuing the State test number,
Picture: © ÖWM - Armin Faber