The German chemist and winegrower dr. Leonhard Roesler (1839-1910) studied chemistry in Erlangen and Göttingen. From 1867 he worked as a full professor at the Grand Ducal Baden Technical University in Karlsruhe (Baden-Württemberg). Here already dealt mainly with wine chemical issues. During this time he and his colleague Dr. Adolph Blankenhorn (1843-1906) the "Annals of Oenology" out. In 1870 he became head of the newly established and - alongside that of Freiherr August-Wilhelm Babo (1827-1894) directed viticulture school - at that time independent Oenochemical experimental station at the Klosterneuburger Weinbauinstitut (Lower Austria) entrusted. In 1872 he pointed to a burgundy vine in the location "Weidlinger Spitz" the phylloxera to. He was actively involved in researching and combating the pest.
His son-in-law was also the director and later director of Wenzel Seifert (1862-1942). In his most comprehensive book of comprehensive wine statistics, Roesler published the analyzes of a huge number of wines from all the crown lands of the Habsburg monarchy and the most important European wine countries. Roesler was in 1884 also co-founder of the Association for the Protection of Austrian Viticulture. His colleague Felix von Thümen (1839-1892) described in 1877 a hitherto unknown fungus (a vine root mold) and called this "Roesleria hypogaea". In honor of Roesler, a memorial stone was unveiled in Klosterneuburg in 1931. A red grape variety created in Klosterneuburg in 1970 was named after him Roesler named.