The winery is located in Stein in the west of Krems
in the Lower Austrian wine-growing region Kremstal
has an old tradition. The ancestors of the Salomon family were Danube ferries in the salt trade in the main acquisition and acted incidentally with wine. In 1792, after secularization under Emperor Joseph II (1741-1790), the family acquired the abandoned Capuchin monastery "Claustrum ad undam" (Kloster Und) and its associated farmyard. Until 1977 this was today independent winery Salomon Fritz
(Oberstockstall-Wagram) a dependance. Fritz Salomon (1905-1971) was one of the first bottle bottlers in Austria from 1927 and is also contrary to the trend of that time as a pioneer of natural, dry expansion. Already in 1935 Salomon wines were exported to America. In 1987 this was done by his son Dkfm. Erich Salomon (+2007) newly renovated monastery with a wine museum, event rooms and one of the first district wine shops opened. He was mainly responsible for the vineyards.
His brother Dr. Bertold Salomon was managing director of the company until 2001 ÖWM
and leads the winery today. The vineyards cover a total of 25 hectares of vineyards in the predominantly south-facing and terraced vineyards Kögl
, Dog, Wachtberg and the sole owner Wieden
, They are planted with the white varieties Riesling (50%), Veltliner (47%) and Yellow Traminer (3%). The "Riesling Kremser Kögl" was the "EU presidential wine" in 1998 because it was served at several meetings of EU heads of state and foreign ministers. The winery is a member of the two winegrower associations Traditionsweingüter Austria
and Tu Felix Austria
, from Castle Grafenegg
vineyards are leased at the Pfaffenberg, from where Riesling wines are pressed. There are also cultivated apricots.
The great uncle of Edith Salomon (1914-2001), the wife of Fritz Salomon, Father Johann Nepomuk Hinteröcker (1819-1872), emigrated in 1866 from Pointed
(Wachau) to South Australia. After a three-year stay in the Clare Valley at Seven Hills Winery, he founded St. Ignatius College in Norwood. In 1995, Berthold Salomon followed the family tracks, he idem he vineyards in the vineyards Finniss River about 45 km south of the capital Adelaide and founded the winery Salomon Estate
. He was a member of the board in the 1980s Schlumberger
and responsible for purchasing imported Australian wines. For the vinification on Salomon Estate Mike Farmilo is responsible, who previously as Head Redwine Maker for the Multi Penfolds
had been active. The varieties Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Shiraz are cultivated. A Shiraz Cuvée is dedicated as homage to the ancestor Johann Nepomuk Hinteröcker.