One of the oldest and most famous vineyards in Austria, which was first mentioned in 1208. It is located in the Lower Austrian wine region Kremstal, adjacent to the northern edge of the city Krems, Like most of the vineyards at that time, it was owned by the monastery. In the 1970s, the once famous name was unfortunately watered down completely because a large area with a total of 350 hectares was defined as the location and the name of the original sand pit with only 25 hectares was given to it. Under the prestigious name, tons were marketed as branded wine in supermarkets. This had an unfairly negative effect on the wines from the "real" sand pit. During this time, some of the vineyards were irretrievably destroyed because precisely through the vineyards a busy highway was created (the B 37).
The primary sand pit with a gentle southern slope is bordered at the western end by the Ründe Bründlgraben, north by the Ried Frechau and south by the city of Krems and the Riede Thalland. The floor consists of a 50 to 100 centimeter high, eponymous sand-clay mixture, under which there is gravel up to ten meters deep with an underlying layer of tegel. In rainy years the gravel layer has a positive effect like drainage, but in dry years this can also cause problems water stress to lead. This floor warms up very well and stores the heat even at night. The vineyard is predominantly with Green Valtellina planted, especially the eastern part is one of the best locations / vineyards in Austria for this grape variety. The wineries, for example, have shares in the original sand pit Aigner Wolfgang. Hagen Anton. Müllner Johann. Thiery-Weber. Türk Franz. City of Krems winery. Winemaker Krems and Zöhrer Anton,