The individual location is in the south-western part of the Binger Rochusberg. It will be west of the Near, north of the Schlossberg-Schwätzerchen and rose Garden, as well as to the east of the Bubenstück location. The first documentary mention under "Scarlachen" comes from the year 1248 when the monastery Eberbach acquired the situation through a barter. In 1848 Scharlachberg was one of the highest classified locations in Germany. The wine pioneer Johann Philipp Bronner (1792-1864) wrote in the book "Weinbau in the province of Rheinhessen, in the Nahethal and Moselthal" published in 1834 in superlatives about the wine there. Part of the scarlet mountain was after Land Consolidation to the nature reserve. In 1898 the cognac distillery was opened in Bingen Scharlachberg GmbH founded to benefit from the name.
The south-facing vineyards at 110 to 200 meters above sea level with 5 to 60% slope cover 25 hectares of vineyards. The floors are made of quartzite and slate weathering rock with the upper layer Eisenoxydanteil, which led to the eponymous irregular red coloring of the situation. The water seeps away quickly and is hardly stored. The vines must therefore look for water and nutrients deeply rooted; on water stress is rare however. The quartz, which consists of 99% silicon oxide, can store the heat extremely well. The wind blowing continuously through the valley has a positive effect, because this means that the vineyard is already in full morning sun when in the Rhine Valley there are still hazy mists.
By a decree of the Mainz Stephansstift from 1697, the winegrowers were obliged to use only the noble variety Riesling to cultivate because the reputation of the wines has decreased. Failure to do so clearing threatened: "If bad sticks were to be put on in the future, they should be removed from the roof and the offender should be given a proper punishment." Even today, this variety is mainly used as well Sylvaner cultured. The vineyards, for example, have a share in the situation Bishop Hartmut. Hemmes Frank. Kruger-Rumpf. Prince Salm and Riffel,
The single location is southeast of the district Staustufe-Thüngersheim. A forest belt above the vineyards protects against cold east winds. The 135 hectares of vineyards at 200 to 330 meters above sea level, oriented from west to northwest, have 5 to 60% slope Tilt on shell limestone soils (wave limestone). In 1989 an almost four kilometer long wine trail was opened. A total of 16 plates are cultivated here varieties presented. Among other things, the varieties Sylvaner. Müller-Thurgau. Riesling and Pinot Noir ( Pinot Noir ) cultivated. The vineyards, for example, have a share in the situation Bickel-Stumpf. Bürgerspital. Hart private winery. Reiss Christian. Schwab Thomas and State Court Cellar Wuerzburg,