The estate is located in the community Oestrich-Winkel in the German wine-growing region Rheingau, The castle was built by the family of the imperial lords of Greiffenclau at the beginning of the 14th century, the name "Vollrads" is probably derived from a personal name already mentioned in 1268. The pedigree of the family Greiffenclau can be traced back to the year 1097. Georg Philipp von Greiffenclau left in 1684 next to the residential tower, the Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832) on his visit in 1814 felt "strange" to build the actual mansion. The family of Greiffenclau produced many important personalities, including archbishops and electors of Mainz and Trier and prince bishops of Würzburg, Erwein Count Matuschka-Greiffenclau (1938-1997) as the 27th offspring of the sex was in the period 1990 to 1997 President of the Rheingau Viticulture Association. With his death, the almost 800-year-old family tradition of viticulture on Schloss Vollrads came to an end. In the period 1979 to 1997, the adjacent winery Prince Lowenstein operated in lease, which is now managed again independently.
Today, the Nassauische Sparkasse continues Schloss Vollrads and the vineyards as a historical unit. A good restaurant is connected. It also organizes events in the fields of art, culture and wine. As a property manager, Dr. Ing. Rowald Hepp, as butler Jochen Bug and for the outside Gregor Vollmer. In 2001, eight hectares of vineyards were purchased by the Brentano'schen Gutsverwaltung, which are adjacent plots. At the same time, the rights were acquired to designate the wine pressed there as "Goethe wine".
The vineyards cover a total of about 80 hectares of vineyards in the single layer Schloss Vollrads with the won Schlossberg (both names are allowed on the label to be named), Hasensprung (ex Brentano), as well as other areas in individual layers of the municipalities angle, Geisenheim and Hattenheim, It becomes only the variety Riesling cultured. The south-facing vineyard Schloss Vollrads is located at 70 to 120 meters above sea level with 5 to 30% slope and covers 48 hectares of vineyards on deep loess soils, interspersed with gravel, clay and quartzite. A special feature is the part of a wall "Clos du Jardin". Here are individual vines planted by renowned trade and gastronomy customers as well as importers. This project was started in 2011 on the occasion of the 800th anniversary.
Selective harvesting takes place in several rounds over many weeks, so that only ripe and healthy grapes are processed. The product palette includes depending on vintage 10 to 15 different Riesling wines, according to the four-stage VDP classification model be marketed. The wines are in stainless steel tanks or fermented and matured in wooden barrels. In weather-appropriate years are also Trockenbeerenauslese and Eiswein vinified. The bottles are exclusively with glass corks or screw cap locked. Bottle-fermented sparkling wines and brandies (pomace, wine) are also produced. In the treasury store many old vintages, the oldest are over 100 years. The winery is a founding member of VDP (Verband deutscher Prädikatsweingüter).