SIGN UP LOG IN

The largest wine encyclopedia in the world

23.030 Keywords • 48.228 Synonyms • 5.303 Translations • 28.336 Pronunciations • 154.274 Cross-references

0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Setúbal

The DOC area named after the city on the Atlantic coast lies southeast of the Portuguese Capital Lisbon on the Península Setúbal peninsula in the central west in the area Península de Setúbal, The climate is characterized here in autumn by the influences of the Atlantic and above all by cool and very humid air currents from the Tagus estuary. The vines grow here on calcareous, sandy and clayey soils. After this port wine and Madeira is the third large dessert wine from Portugal with a very old tradition. The French sun king Louis XIV (1638-1715) is said to have always asked for the liqueur wine from Setúbal for its festivities in Versailles. The English wine author Cyrus Redding (1785-1870) commended wine in 1851 in his book "A History and Description of Modern Wine". Around 1860 the wine was exported to three continents. In the same way as with Madeira, it was loaded onto ships before being sold in barrels and transported twice over the equator. Such on the label with TVE ( Torna Viagem ) designated bottles from the period 1870 to 1890 are still stored in the company's cellars Fonseca,

The wine is made from at least 85% Moscatel de Setúbal ( Muscat d'Alexandrie ), as well as small parts mainly of the varieties Arinto, Boal Branco ( Malvasia Fina ), Moscatel Douro ( Muscat Blanc ) and the reddish variety Moscatel Roxo. In this case he can call himself Moscatel de Setúbal. If the wine is less than 85%, but at least 67% Muscatel varieties used, it may only be called Setúbal. For the remaining 33%, however, a number of other types of white wine and red wine are also permissible. Mostly the wine is a blend of different vintages, in particularly good years there is also one Vintage-Setúbal,

After this stemming the grapes are gently pressed. After a relatively short time fermentation in fermentation barrels or large concrete tanks alcohol content of about 12% vol residual sugar below 100 g / l Spriten with pure alcohol (Wine spirit) canceled. The digestate is now stored for at least six to 12 months with the following Press and Filter, The young wine is now aged in oak or mahogany barrels oxidative expansion further. Some producers like Fonseca add grapes at this stage to increase the fruitiness added. The loss caused by evaporation is made up by wines of the same age. That used to be common for selected wines Torna Viagem is no longer common. The maturation takes at least five to six years, for special qualities even 20 to 25 years. The younger wines are amber, the very old cognac with flavors after coffee. caramel and honey. The wines show you residual sugar up to 90 g / l and an alcohol content of 18 to 20% vol. They are characterized by decades durability out.

World's largest wine knowledge database, made with by our author Norbert Tischelmayer.

About the Glossary

Calendar EVENTS NEAR YOU To Online-Events

Privacy Notice: ×

Cookies facilitate the provision of our services. By using our services, you agree that we use cookies.