The origin of what is now known as the "Maison Sichel" Bordeaux wine trade house
lies in the middle of the 18th century. Since then, the widely ramified family of German origin has been concerned with wine. In 1857 the descendant Hermann Sichel (born 1791) founded in Mainz
the wine and spirits trading company H. Sichel and Sons. A branch followed in 1883 Bordeaux
, which is one of the most renowned wine trade houses there today. Walter Sichel (1906-1989) studied the wine business in Geisenheim
, Bordeaux and Spain and founded a branch in London in 1927 and became a British citizen in 1935.
The remaining family members were scattered around the world. In the 1930s, the company in Mainz created the branded wine "Blue Nun" (blue nun - the label is adorned with blue-clad nuns). In terms of quality, this wine stood out from the usual Liebfraumilch
and became one of the most successful wines in the world from the 1950s. Today, over two million boxes are exported annually worldwide, well over half of which are exported to the United States. The wine is blended at the company's headquarters in Mainz.
In 1992 the Edmond Coste trading house in Langon was acquired. The successor to Peter Sichel, who died in 1998, was his son Allan. Three of his brothers share responsibility for export, the fourth named Benjamin runs the family winery Château d'Angludet
(Margaux). The company owns or holds shares in several wineries such as Château Palmer
(Margaux) and others in the fields Corbières
, The branded wine "Sirius" produced under the appellation "Bordeaux" was created in 1985. The red wine is blended from Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon with portions of Petit Verdot and Cabernet Franc, the white wine from Sémillon is pressed with a little Sauvignon Blanc.