The German champagne house in Schlierstein on Rhine was founded by Johann Jacob Söhnlein (1827-1912) in 1864 under the name "Rheingau Sparkling Wine Factory". In 1868 the wine obtained from the estate's base wines Johannisberg Castle prepared sparkling wine the name "Rheingold". This reached an enormous level of awareness and became an important advertising medium as a champagne for the new imperial navy and for the music of Richard Wagner as well as a top brand for the fine dining of the international shipping lines. After an order by Kaiser Wilhelm I (1797-1888) the warships of the German Navy were allowed to Schiffstaufe only obtained with a Söhnle insect. When the Bayreuth Festival opened in 1876 with the four-part opera cycle "Ring der Nibelungen", Richard Wagner (1813-1883) awarded the Söhnlein sparkling wine as Rheingold. At that time, the name was officially protected as the first sparkling wine brand.
Söhnlein had recognized early on that the high quality Riesling wines from Johannisberg Castle with their high acidity, they are particularly suitable for sparkling. Therefore, in 1876, a contract between the Prince of Metternich-Winneburg's domain at Schloss Johannisberg and Söhnlein was concluded on a right of first refusal for the wines. In 1878, Söhnlein won the gold medal at the World Exhibition in Paris with a Riesling sparkling wine. The name Metternich did not appear on the label for the time being. Only in 1934 was another contract concluded for the exclusive use of the Schloss Johannisberg wine label and the neck bow with the coat of arms of the Princely House. But it wasn't until 1971 that this sparkling wine was established as a premium brand of its own. The label bears the portrait of Clemens Wenzel Prince von Metternich-Winneburg (1773-1859). Today four Fürst-von-Metternich sparkling wines with different colored neck labels are produced. These are "dry" with 24 g / l, "extra dry" with 18 g / l, "brut" with 12 g / l and "rose" with 22 g / l dosage.
After the founder's death in 1912, his youngest son Friedrich Wilhelm Söhnlein (1860-1948) took the lead. The company name was changed in 1922 to "Söhnlein Rheingold AG". In 1933 the sparkling wine producer "Schloss Rheinberg" was taken over, which is still produced as a separate brand. Finally, in 1958 the sparkling wine producer "Söhnlein Rheingold" was taken over by the Bielefeld entrepreneur Rudolf August Oetker (1916-2007). A further expansion followed in 1961 with the purchase of the Lutter & Wegner sparkling wine producer. In 1964, the “Söhnlein Brillant” consumer brand was launched, of which over a billion 0.75 liter bottles have been sold. Other brands Söhnlein Brillant are red, alcohol-free, rosé and rosé alcohol-free. Finally, in 1987 the long-standing competitors Söhnlein and Henkell merged. The company operated under the name "Henkell & Söhnlein Sektkellereien KG" until the end of 2008 and since the beginning of 2009 as " Henkell & Co. Sektkellerei KG ". The company with all brands is part of the big one Oetker Group,