SIGN UP LOG IN

The largest wine encyclopedia in the world

23.054 Keywords • 48.241 Synonyms • 5.303 Translations • 28.360 Pronunciations • 154.988 Cross-references

0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

St. Magdalene's

Santa Maddalena (I)

Subzone (also Santa Maddalena) for red wine within the South Tyrolean DOC area (Alto Adige) in the Italian wine growing area South Tyrol (in the double region Trentino-South Tyrol). The historical area includes the name-giving municipality of St. Magdalena and the Bolzano districts of Leitach, Rentsch, St. Justina and St. Peter. Other municipalities are Guntschna, Haslach, Kampenn, Kampill, Kardaun, Karneid, Moritzing, Sand, Siebeneich, Signat, St. Georgen, Unterplatten and Virgl. The name of the subzone and additionally "Classico" or "Classical" or "Classical area of origin" for wines from the historical area can be indicated on the label. If the grapes come from classified vineyards, Vigna can be indicated followed by the name of the vineyard.

The name was already protected in Italy in 1931 and under the fascist regime in the 1930s it was proclaimed one of the three top red wines in Italy. It is also popularly known as the "Queen of Vernatsch". The wine must contain at least 85% Vernatsch varieties (see the different varieties under Schiava); the remaining 15% can be other approved varieties such as Lagrein.

World's largest wine knowledge database, made with by our author Norbert Tischelmayer.

About the Glossary

Calendar EVENTS NEAR YOU To Online-Events

Privacy Notice: ×

Cookies facilitate the provision of our services. By using our services, you agree that we use cookies.