SIGN UP LOG IN

The largest wine encyclopedia in the world

22.796 Keywords • 48.335 Synonyms • 5.299 Translations • 7.909 Pronunciations • 152.057 Cross-references

0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

St. Magdalener

Santa Maddalena (I)

Subzone (also Santa Maddalena) for red wine within the DOC area South Tyrol (Alto Adige) in the Italian winegrowing area South-Tirol (in the double region Trentino-Alto Adige ). The historical area includes the eponymous municipality of St. Magdalena and the districts of Leitz, Rentsch, St. Justina and St. Peter. Other municipalities are Guntschna, Haslach, Kampenn, Kampill, Kardaun, Karneid, Moritzing, Sand, Siebeneich, Signat, St. Georgen, Unterplatten and Virgl. The name of the subzone as well as additionally "Classico" or "Classic" or "Classical origin" for wines from the historical area can on the label be cited. If the grapes come from classified vineyards, Vigna can be given followed by the vineyard name.

Already in 1931, the name was protected in Italy and under the fascist regime in the 1930s, he was proclaimed one of the three top red wines in Italy. He is popularly referred to as "Queen of Vernatsch". The wine must have at least 85% Vernatsch varieties (see the different varieties under schiava ) contain; the remaining 15% may be other approved varieties such as Lagrein be.

World's largest wine knowledge database, made with by our author Norbert Tischelmayer.

About the Glossary

Calendar EVENTS NEAR YOU

Privacy Notice: ×

Cookies facilitate the provision of our services. By using our services, you agree that we use cookies.