The important Port wine house in postage (Portugal) originated in the course of its history from various port wine companies. The founder was the Scot Andrew James Symington (1863-1939), who immigrated in 1882. He began his career with the port wine company Warre's (with Quinta da Cavadinha) and later became a partner in this company. George Warre owned at that time the majority of the port wine company Dow's Port (with Quinta do Bomfim and Quinta da Senhorada Ribeira). In 1912, Symington took over a stake in Dow's, while Warre repurchased part of the company founded by his family. The family Symington was responsible for the production and the family Warre for sales and distribution. In 1961 Warre sold the remaining stake in the Symingtons, which now also Dow was 100% incorporated.
W & J Graham's (with Quinta dos Malvedos) was taken over in 1970 as the third port wine company together with sister company Smith Woodhouse . It then continued with Gould Campbell and last in 1989 with Quinta do Vesuvio . A partnership with Quinta de Roriz in the possession of remotely related to the family João van Zeller was resolved in 2008 by mutual agreement. However, there is no port brand called Symington, the products are produced under the name of the companies. Each one has its own inventory.
The property includes about 20 Quintas (wineries). Since the year 1988 the majority of the company has been at the Madeira Wine Company involved, the largest manufacturer of Madeira, Second big business partner is the Madeira company Blandy, The joint ownership of these two companies includes the brands Blandy, Cossart Gordon, Leacock and Miles. Most recently, our own export companies were founded in Great Britain and the USA. The Douro area has been producing DOC wines since 1999. Since 2000, the red wine "Chryseia" (Greek for gold) from the autochthonous varieties Touriga Nacional (80%), Touriga Franca, Tinta Roriz Tempranillo ) and Tinto Cão blended and marketed under the label "P + S" (Prats and Symington). This is a joint creation with Bruno Prats, the former owner of Château Cos d'Estournel,
In the 1960s, new techniques were introduced by the three cousins Ian, Michael and James Symington. The group "Symington Family Estates" is now run in the fourth and fifth generation of families by several Symingtons in leading positions. Senior director and head is Paul Symington. The company is a member of the prominent Family Winery Association PFV (Primum Familiae Vini).