The Champagne House, based in Reims, was founded in 1734 by the champagne dealer Jacques Fourneaux and is thus behind Ruinart the second oldest. The cellars of the former Saint-Nicaise Abbey date back to the 13th century. The company was bought in 1931 by Pierre-Charles Taittinger (Austrian origin) together with his brother-in-law. He enlarged the property by extensive purchases. From 1942 to 1960 led François Taittinger, after his death Claude Taittinger (* 1927) the company. In 2005, two-thirds of the total company, which in addition to the champagne production also several hotels (including the Hôtel de Crillon in Paris) included, sold for inheritance disputes to the US company Starwood. Just one year later, however, Pierre-Emmanuel Taittinger (nephew of Claude Taittinger), with the help of a bank consortium, bought back the champagne production for around 660 million euros, which he attributed not least to his emotional attachment to the company. Since 2006 he is responsible as managing director. The management also includes Virginie Taittinger, the daughter of Claude Taittinger.