The winery is located near the municipality of Isla de Maipo (province of Talagante) in the Maipo Valley
, It was founded in 1874 by Francisco de Rojas y Salamanca under the name "Viña Rojas". In 1892 the estate was acquired by Manuel Zavala-Meléndez, who changed the name to "Viña Tarapacá" in honor of the Chilean province of the same name in the north. In 1992 it was taken over by the Chilean Match Ltd. "Compania Chilena de Fosforos". The new owner made huge investments in vineyards and cellaring. With the California winery Beringer
there is close cooperation. Finally, in 1998, the company became part of the VSPT wine group. This second largest Chilean wine exporter has vineyard ownership in Chile and Argentina.
The old vineyards of the former family winery near Santiago were abandoned and in the area Maipo
2,400 hectares of new land fed by the Maipo river irrigation
(Drip irrigation) created. Of these, about 850 hectares are currently under vines. They are located in the middle of a former volcanic crater and are planted with the red varieties Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Carmenère, Malbec, Merlot, Mourvèdre, Pinot Noir and Syrah, as well as the white varieties Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Gewurztraminer and Viognier. The wines are produced in the lines Tara-Pakay, Zavala (former owner), Gran Reserva, Terroir, Tarapacá + Plus, Tarapacá Reserva and Tarapacá Varietal. The red wines are fortified 40% in French and American oak barrels, 60% without wood fruity. The sparkling wines are made according to the champagne method and Méthode charmat
(Tank fermentation) generated.