SIGN UP LOG IN

The largest wine encyclopedia in the world

23.057 Keywords • 48.243 Synonyms • 5.303 Translations • 28.363 Pronunciations • 155.153 Cross-references

0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Uruguay

Uruguai (PO)
Uruguay (F)
Uruguay (ES)
Uruguay (GB)
Uruguay (I)
Uruguay (N)
Viticulture began later in Uruguay than in other countries in South America, The first vines were not grown until the middle of the 17th century Spain introduced. Commercial viniculture did not begin until around 1870, when immigrants from the French Basque Country and Italy planted the first larger vineyards. The Frenchman Pascual is one of the most important pioneers Harriague (1819-1894), who founded the winery "La Caballada" near Salto in the district of the same name and planted the red grape variety Tannat he brought with him on around 200 hectares of vineyards. That is why she is also referred to here as Harriague. Today there are over a hundred years of tannate vines in Uruguay.

The relatively humid, subtropical climate is influenced by the Atlantic and with warm summers and sufficient rainfall is very suitable for viticulture. In 2012, the vineyard area covered 9,000 hectares on mostly loose sand and clay soils. 95% of these were used for wine production with 962,000 hectoliters. To Argentina Uruguay has the second highest per capita consumption of wine in South America with 25 liters per year. Be on the remaining 5% of the vineyard table grapes generated. Around 60% of the vineyards can be found in the south of the country at the mouth of the Rio de la Plata around the capital Montevideo in the districts of Canelones, San José and Montevideo. The remaining 40% are spread across the country in the form of smaller islands. In 1992, five areas simply referred to as the southern, southwestern, central, northwestern and northern regions were introduced. 75% red wine and 25% white wine are cultivated. The grape variety index 2010 (Satstistik Kym Anderson ):

vine colour Synonyms or name in Uruguay hectare
Tannat red Harriague 1815
Muscat d'Hamburg red Moscatel de Hamburgo 1500
Merlot red - 875
Trebbiano Toscano White Ugni Blanc 751
Cabernet Sauvignon red - 682
Cabernet Franc red - 334
Isabella red Frutilla 256
Chardonnay White - 149
Sauvignon Blanc White - 147
Marselan red - 91
Syrah red - 87
Pinot Noir red - 55
Viognier White - 45
Cot red Côt, Malbec 41
Petit Verdot red - 32
Arinarnoa red - 28
Nebbiolo red - 26
Gewurztraminer / Traminer White Gewurztraminer 24
Sémillon White - 24
Concord red - 22
Alicante Henri Bouschet red - 22
Riesling White - 15
Canari Noir red - 13
Pinot gris White - 12
Trebbiano? White - 11
Muscat Blanc / muscatel White - 10
Pinot Blanc White - 9
Gamay red Gamay Noir 9
Sauvignon gris White - 8th
Malvasia Fina White - 8th
Muscat Ottonel White Muscat Ottonel 7
Chenin Blanc White - 7
Garnacha Tinta red Grenache Noir 5
Arriloba White - 4
Colombard White - 4
Egiodola red - 3
Roussanne White - 3
Marsanne White - 2
Ruby Cabernet red - 2
Pedro Ximénez White - 1
Monastrell red Mataro, Mourvèdre 1


The "Instituto Nacional de Vitivinicultura" (INAVI) was founded in 1987 by some winegrowers as a private authority that endeavors to promote and control wine quality. The wines are divided into two classes. 90% simple, pink "VC" (Vino Comun) mixed from white wine and red wine grapes (mostly Moscatel Hamburgo, Isabella, Torrontés) are produced, in balloon bottles or Tetra pack be filled. They are only 10% quality wines "VCP" (Vinos de Calidad Preferente), which must have been made from European Vitis vinifera vines and may only be filled in bottles with a volume of 0.75 l or less.

Well-known producers are Ariano, Beretta, Bouza, Bruzzone & Sciutto, Carrau (well-known brands are Castel Pujol, Cerro Chapeu, are involved Freixenet and Jacques Lurton ), Castillo Viejo, Dante Irurtia, Leonardo Falcone, Viñedos y Bodega Filgueira, Juanicó (joint venture with Château Pape-Clement ), Marichal, Pisano, Pizzorno, Plaza Vidiella, Rincón de Carrasco, Los Cerros de San Juan (joint venture with LVMH ), Stagnari, Juan Toscanini e Hijos, Viña Varela Zarranz and Vinos de La Cruz.

World's largest wine knowledge database, made with by our author Norbert Tischelmayer.

About the Glossary

Calendar EVENTS NEAR YOU To Online-Events

Privacy Notice: ×

Cookies facilitate the provision of our services. By using our services, you agree that we use cookies.