The today's "Verband deutscher Prädikatsweingüter eV" was founded in 1910 under the name "Verband Deutscher Naturweinversteigerer eV". This was done on the initiative of the mayor of Trier Albert von Bruchhausen (1859-1948), who was also the first chairman of the association. Model and predecessor was founded two years earlier Great ring VDP Moselle, Founding members were associations of some growing areas. The goal at that time was to produce the members' wines produced according to special quality standards Auctions for sale. In 1972, a change from "Verband der Versteigerungsvereine" to "Verband der Weingüter" took place. A change of name in "Verband Deutscher Prädikatswein- und Qualitätsweingüter eV" with revised version of the goals took place in 1990. The president became Michael Prinz zu Salm-Salm.