The estate is located in the Oestrich-Winkel municipality in the German wine-growing region Rheingau, The castle was built by the family of the imperial barons of Greiffenclau at the beginning of the 14th century, the name "Vollrads" is probably derived from a personal name already mentioned in 1268. The family tree of the Greiffenclau family can be traced back to 1097. In 1684, Georg Philipp von Greiffenclau had Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832) felt that when he visited in 1814, the actual manor house was built. The von Greiffenclau family produced many important personalities, including archbishops and electors of Mainz and Trier and Prince Bishops of Würzburg, Erwein Graf Matuschka-Greiffenclau (1938-1997) as the 27th offspring of the sex was president of the Rheingau wine-growing association from 1990 to 1997. With his death, the almost 800-year-old family tradition of viticulture at Schloss Vollrads came to an end. In the period from 1979 to 1997 the neighboring winery Prince Löwenstein operated in lease, which is now managed independently again.
Today the Nassauische Sparkasse continues the Vollrads Castle and the vineyards as a historical unit. A manor restaurant is connected. Events in the fields of art, culture and wine are also organized. As estate manager, Dr. Rowald Hepp, as cellar master Jochen Bug and responsible for the external operation Gregor Vollmer. In 2001, eight hectares of vineyards were purchased by the Brentano estate management, which are adjacent plots. At the same time, the rights were also acquired to call the wine pressed from there "Goethewein".
The vineyards cover a total of around 80 hectares of vineyards in the individual vineyard Schloss Vollrads won Schlossberg (both names may be on the label to be named), Hasensprung (ex Brentano), as well as additional areas in individual layers of the Winkel community, Geisenheim and Hattenheim, It will only be the variety Riesling cultured. The south-facing vineyard Schloss Vollrads is 70 to 120 meters above sea level with 5 to 30% slope and covers 48 hectares of vineyards on deep loess soils, which are interspersed with gravel, clay and quartzite. A special feature is the “Clos du Jardin” part enclosed by a wall. Here are individual vines planted by renowned retail and gastronomy customers as well as importers. This project was started in 2011 on the occasion of the 800th anniversary.
The selective harvest takes place in several rounds over many weeks, so that only ripe and healthy grapes are processed. The product range includes depending on vintage 10 to 15 different Riesling wines, according to the four-tier VDP classification model be marketed. The wines are in stainless steel tanks or fermented and aged in wooden barrels. In weather-appropriate years too Trockenbeerenauslese and Eiswein vinified. The bottles are only with glass corks or screw cap locked. Bottle-fermented sparkling wines and brandies (pomace, wine) are also produced. In the treasury store many old vintages, the oldest are over 100 years. The winery is a founding member of VDP (Association of German quality wine estates).