Community appellation 16 kilometers south of Dijon in the area Cote d'Or, It has just under 200 inhabitants, but is one of the most famous winegrowing communities in the Burgundy, The name is derived from the brook Vouge flowing through the town. Put here Cistercian monks the famous vineyard in the 14th century Clos de Vougeot and surrounded it in 1330 with a high, kilometer-long wall. It is the only Grand Cru location and covers 50 hectares of vineyards. The four Premiers Crus cover 14 hectares of vineyards, the first of which applies to white wine. These are Les Clos Blancs (monopoly of the Domaine de la Vougeraie), Clos de la Perrière, Les Crâs and Les Petits de Vougeots. Wine from just under five hectares is marketed under the Village appellation Vougeot.
The white wines are mainly made up of Chardonnay with if necessary Pinot Blanc and Pinot Beurot ( Pinot gris ), the red wines from mainly Pinot Noir with possibly Pinot Beurot and Pinot Liébault vinified. With red wine, it is allowed to use up to a maximum of 15% of the approved types of white wine. In the Château du Clos de Vougeot (former Cistercian estate) located in the middle of the vineyards of the Clos du Vougeot, the annual traditional gathering of the wine brotherhood takes place as part of the "Les Trois Glorieuses" (three glorious days) Confrérie des Chevaliers du Tastevin instead of. Also worth seeing is a mill from the 16th century. Well-known producers are Domaine Bertagna, Mongeard-Mugneret and Vougeraie.
Château: © Bénédecite MANIERE and Jean-Louis BERNUY