The "Federal Research Center for Fruit, Wine and Horticulture" in the town of the same name on Lake Zurich in the Swiss canton Zurich was founded in 1890. The main reason was through phylloxera and mildew in the second half of the 19th century caused tremendous damage to viticulture. Today she is primarily responsible for German-speaking Switzerland. The institute also manages some vineyards on Lake Zurich. The first director of the institute was Professor DDr. Hermann Müller-Thurgau (1850-1927), who started work on the new breed named after him in Geisenheim (Rheingau) Müller-Thurgau finished. The main tasks are consulting, training and research and development. The well-known biologist Dr. Otto Schneider-Orelli (1880-1965) worked at this institute at the beginning of the 20th century in the study of plant physiological, entomological (insects) and mycological (fungi) problems.
In 1981, Professor Hans Tanner, in collaboration with Carla Zanier, first identified the chemical compound trichloroanisole (TCA) as the cause of the corked identified. In the beverage microbiology group, pure-growing yeasts have been selected for winemaking since the 1970s. Particularly successful yeasts are Lalvin W15 and Lalvin W27. Another focus is the use of beneficials in the vineyard and control of pests by the disrupter, A similar institute is responsible for Italian- and French-speaking Switzerland Changins in the canton of Vaud. The two stations were managed by Agroscope Changins-Wädenswil summarized.