The winery in the Lower Austrian wine region Kremstal has its origin in the year 1083, when the bishop Altmann of Passau (1015-1091) at the summit of the Göttweiger mountain on 449 m sea - height on the south bank of the Danube opposite the city Krems founded a monastery, which he gave to the monks of the Benedictine Order handed. Since then, forestry and viticulture have been the economic base, and here the development of viticulture was decisively shaped for the region. In the 14th century, there was a pronounced wine culture. The Hofmeister controlled the carefully established method of viticulture. There were exact completion dates for each work, the number of vines, the fertilization, the time of the the pruning and the weeding of weeds. In the 16th century the wines of the monastery were far beyond the borders Austria known in many countries. The main buyers were Bavarian monasteries. The island of Wörth near Mautern served as the transhipment point, from where the wine was sent in wooden barrels by barges on the Danube. These were pulled upstream by horses, downstream it went with the flow.
Already in 1714, Göttweig Abbey documented over 20,440 buckets (1,144,640 liters) of wine. The largest pen-owned oak barrel offered 646 buckets (36,176 liters) of wine. The annual income from the wine industry was so high that after a major fire in 1718, the famous architect Lukas von Hildebrand (1668-1745) was commissioned with the construction of the abbey building, the construction costs were financed almost entirely from the revenue of the wine shops ( Since 2000, the world-famous Baroque monastery has been listed as a UNESCO World Heritage declared). Since Göttweig Abbey possessed the princely privilege of the Weinausschank, many taverns were opened, such as in Stein, Wien (where the "Göttweiger Stiftskeller" still exists today in the city center) and Hungary. In 1730, the first bottling took place, the bottles had the shape of a glass balloon. During this time, a planned cellar was built in the monastery. In 1805 emperor visited Napoleon (1769-1821) before the occupation of Vienna, the monastery and was thrilled by the unique view there and the wine enjoyed there.
Since the year 2006, they are being sold to the Dr. w. Unger leased vineyards leased by a group of shareholders and thus revived the winery. Managing Director is Ing. Fritz Miesbauer (also a shareholder and also manager of the Weingut Stadt Krems), supported by Peter Rethaller (cellar master) and Franz-Josef Gansberger (sales / sales) .The vineyards cover 26 hectares of vineyards in the vineyards Gottschelle, Göttweiger mountain and Silberbichl, They are around 95% with the white wine varieties Green Valtellina (60%), Riesling and Chardonnay, as well as the remainder with the red variety Blauburgunder ( Pinot Noir ) planted. The grapes are hand-picked and put into boxes for processing Winery City Krems transported, where the entire cellar work takes place. The wines are basically expanded in steel tanks. The premium wines include Rieslings and Grüner Veltliner Kremstal DAC or Kremstal DAC Reserve with different vineyard names. It will too measuring wines produced in white and red. Every year around 120,000 bottles of wine are produced. The winery is a member of the association Traditionsweingüter Austria,