The Australian Wynns Coonawarra Estate is located in the area Coonawarra (State of South Australia). The origin is in 1891 when John immigrated from Scotland Riddoch (1828-1901) started to plant vines. A winery was opened in 1895 and the vineyards covered 52 hectares. They form the core of today's property. In 1951 the business was bought by Samuel Wynn (1891-1982) of Polish origin and his son David and renamed "Wynns Coonawarra Estate". At that time, Australia was primarily a type of fortified wine Sherry or port wine popular.
It was a risk to produce dry red wines, but Wynns was subsequently very successful. A novelty was introduced, as the origin of the wines "Coonowarra" on the label to lead. In 1972 the winery was bought by the Allied Vintners and later came into the possession of the multinationals South Corp, who finally got the Multi Foster's was acquired. In 2011, all wine activities were named in a separate, listed company Treasury Wine Estates outsourced, to which Wynns now belongs. In 1995 David Wynn received the prestigious award for his great contribution to Australian viticulture O'Shea Award,
Today the vineyards cover 950 hectares of vines, which is around three quarters of the entire Coonawarra area. The flagships of the house are two in Barrique developed, long-lasting red wines, which are made from the best locations and grapes. In 1955 the “Michael Shiraz "(Then he was called" Michael Hermitage "). It matures in new American oak barrels for 18 months. The “John Riddoch Cabernet Sauvignon "Was first produced in 1982 and is often referred to as the" black label ". This deep dark, almost black wine, which was only produced in its prime, matures in French barriques for 26 months. More wines will be made Chardonnay. Merlot and Riesling vinified. Another brand is the “Harold Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon”, which has been produced since 2001.